Thursday, May 10, 2007

Oh the Fire Fighters

So last weekend I was walking home from the Konstablerwache farmers market when I saw this very large crowd gathered right by the pedestrian bridge on the river. There were all of these fire trucks and a fire fighting boat and many people in fire gear and all I could think is that one of the freighter ships that moves up and down the Main River must have gotten into an accident!

And then I got closer and heard a man commentating on the happenings over a bullhorn. That was when I realized that it was a demonstration, and not just any demonstration, a youth fire brigade demonstration. It was so fun to watch. To see these little kids handling these really large fire hoses. I tell you! I just love the way they do stuff in this country. I actually saw an ad for the youth fire brigade on TV the other day. Apparently all German youth have to do some sort of community service whether it's serving in the army, working with the ambulance corp, the fire brigade or something along those lines.

No comments: