Monday, May 14, 2007

Love the Lausanne Weekends. . . .

Headed out of Frankfurt for a last minute trip to visit friends in Lausanne this weekend. And what a weekend it was, full of fabulous food, incredible wines (many, many bottles ) and unbelievably wonderful company. I do love any chance I have to get together with the Girls (Andrea and Vanessa).

It's hard not to enjoy a weekend when you've got great people cooking for you. With Bally's amazing french toast, several delicious bottles of champagne stretched breakfast far into the day after a full night out at the clubs on Friday.

And as if that wasn't enough, I met Andrea's good friend Stuart, a totally eclectic food lover whose mom owned a restaurant and has cooked for the Australian embassy with a friend of his. He had promised Andrea a famous roast chicken dinner for the girls, and he definitely didn't disappoint. I think when he said he didn't have enough time to bake something I may have actually asked the poor guy to marry me! :)

No worries though, Stuart joined us on top of the mountainside for a glass of wine and more culinary discussion before working his magic in the kitchen. And what magic it was! Gorgeous roasted chicken with lemon and butter, pan roasted asparagus, many beautiful roasted vegetables. Gorgeous bottles of Spanish red wine from Stuart's private collection (which he's probably about to auction off if anyone of you is interested). And then for dessert, balsamic macerated strawberries and raspberries over a really incredible, dense chocolate cake. God I think I might be hungry again for his cooking! Anyway, it was a great night, with great company and amazing food.
I do love these weekends with Andrea and her friends. It's almost as if we've found ourselves in some French country home and everyone just drops by and stays for a while to talk and catch up and just relax. So fabulous.

So to finish the weekend of food and fun off I returned home for dinner cooked by another lovely friend of mine, Jon who made me delicious pasta and then capped the weekend off with fireworks! Oh how lucky am I to have friends like this! Truly, truly lucky.