Sunday, February 10, 2008

Lost in Europe: The pleasure of trains


We are on our way home from our wonderful week skiing in Austria right now. Even as we hop from one train to another (I think we have four transfers this time), I have to say that I have grown so fond of train travel in Europe. Excluding the occasional hassle of transfers, train travel may perhaps be one of my favorite ways to see things. Now stress about lost luggage or endless security checks (ie Airports which I see far too much of anyway), no trouble with massive traffic or insanely expensive gas prices (ie Driving, where I might add you can't even nap if you're the one behind the wheel). All that and the train usually drops you in the middle of whatever city you're on your way to! Superb.

Top that off with gorgeous scenery and the ability to get up, stretch your legs and grab a snack any time you want and I'd say it's just about perfect. Plus you get to see some of the country you're traveling through. This gorgeous sunset was part of my view as we headed home tonight.

Wish train travel were more of an option in the States. Even though the U.S. may be the one of the 4 or 5 biggest countries in the world it covers roughly the same area as the European continent, in fact even a little less (3.79 million square miles in the U.S. versus 3.84 million square miles in Europe). We really don't have much of an excuse. Anyway, time to sit back and enjoy the ride home.

No comments: