Thursday, June 28, 2007

What happened to Summer in Frankfurt????

Summer in Germany has not been quite what I might have hoped. After spending almost a week away in two decidedly hot locations, I returned from Athens to Frankfurt to find that it was only 14 C (that would be about 57 F for you North American types) and raining. So in a matter of 4 hours I went from sitting in my bikini on the Mediterranean coast thoroughly loving being in the water to desperately wanting to stay dry and needing a scarf, jacket and umbrella to do it!

It's crazy. All of my colleagues here have insisted that last summer was perfectly gorgeous and they can't figure out why (besides the inevitable and most likely accurate statement that it's due to global warming), the summer is so miserable.

And now, someone has just mentioned to me this strange German phenomenon called the Siebentage, or seven day, which apparently is the mythical starting date of a seven week period of rain. Boy I hope that's not the case otherwise I might very well flee the country for southern climes! But as of today we've got forecasts for the next week that say it's going to stay below 70 degrees and rain every week! Yikes!

I can't tell you how much I'm missing that sticky July Chicago heat and humidity right now.

No comments: