Friday, August 17, 2007

Lost in Italy: von Pisa nach Livorno nach Viareggio

OK, so Livorno has been a complete bust. Reading my guidebook (well Nick's guidebook in German), I thought it would be a really pretty stop along the way (ok slightly out of the way), to the Cinque Terre.

Boy was I wrong. The only thing to see in this town is the shipyards. So we turned right around from the waterfront, got back in the car and picked a new destination: Viareggio. Much better.

This might be the quintessential Italian beach town. When we finally made it down to the waterfront, we wandered up the main strip by the water. It is all tourism, a relief after seeing Livorno although I'm really hoping that the area we're heading next, the Cinque Terre, aren't nearly as crowded. We walked out to the water and it was packed with people. If there hadn't been a designated boardwalk down to the tide line I don't know if you could have actually walked to it without stomping on someone accidentally.

The sea was beautiful though. And there's something about Italians at the beach. You can be thin, chubby, young, old and it doesn't matter. They're all wearing itsy bitsy bathing suits if they're wearing anything at all! OK, so I'm exaggerating a little here, I did see plenty of guys in more American style suits, but there were still plenty of Speedos to be seen!

A short stroll along the water and it was off to the Cinque Terre. I've convinced Nick to drive along the coastline. I hope the traffic isn't too bad . . .

No comments: