Sunday, August 19, 2007

Lost in Italy: Relaxing on the beach and racing back to Bologna


It was the last day in the Cinque Terre. We decided to chill on the beach for a few hours before heading back to Bologna. This amazing stone sculpture of Atlas was nestled into the rock face above the beach and the stretch where our hotel had a dedicated section was packed with people sunning under umbrellas and splashing in the swells. Unfortunately it was an stone beach so it didn't make climbing into the water that pleasant, but the water itself was wonderful.

There's something about swimming in the ocean that just makes me happy. Maybe it's that you don't have to work as hard as you do in sweet, fresh waters or maybe it's just the fact that the salt tang you catch on your tongue or lips is just so delightful. Whatever it is, I like it.

We left a little later than we planned though and I have to say it was a white knuckle (for me) drive back to Bologna. But Nick is a pretty exceptional driver (I think it might have something to do with having access to roads like the Autobahn) and somehow we made it to the airport in time for me to catch my flight. I hesitate to share the drive time given that I know we were going far, far over the speed limit.

All in all a pretty exceptional holiday though, planned last minute but almost complete perfection (except for the pillows in the hotels. . . oh the pillows truly were horrible). I can't wait to come back again in the summer for another Italian adventure, maybe next time I'll focus on Southern Italy . . .

No comments: