Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Say "No!" to Nazis








So last month there was a Nazi/Anti-Nazi rally in Frankfurt. I admit I didn't actually get to see any of the marching, but little signs of the event were scattered throughout the city afterwards on streets and buildings.

I find it really interesting how how the Germans I know react to this particular history chapter. Some of them respond by just not knowing that much about it, others just refuse to talk about it besides a really brief acknowledgment. It's interesting. Anyway, a friend of mine encouraged me to stay away even though I wanted to go and get some photos of it, as he said, "If you're close enough to get pictures, you're close enough to get into trouble." I thought he meant with the Nazis, but he actually meant the anti-Nazis. I asked him why and he said it was just the difference between anarchists (the anti-Nazis) and communists (the Nazis). The anarchists would always cause more trouble . . . .

No comments: