Sunday, March 2, 2008

Lost in America: Mosaic Madness and Other Philly Moments

So we've spent the day wandering around Philly, Marc, Blair and I. I'm kind of sorry I hadn't had a chance to visit before. There are some very cool neighborhoods around here plus the history is pretty thick which is a nice change from some other U.S. cities. I saw Benjamin Franklin's grave and the foundations of the original Presidential house that they just dug up which is near the Liberty Bell. It reminds me a little of Europe in some ways.

We met up with Jack this afternoon and he brought us to this crazy Mosaic maze on Philly's South corridor called the Magic Garden. Apparently this artist, Isaiah Zagar, had returned to Philly in the 60s after a stint in the Peace Corp and opened a gallery. Over time he began to mosaic the interior and then the exterior of the building. He stretched into the empty lot next door (illegally I might add) and expanded his creation. You can walk through the entire space and he's still working. He had this great quote about the garden, when asked if he would ever be finished the artist said: Only I will know when it is complete, but to you who are seeing it right now, it is complete.

Very cool.

Anyway, we're off to dinner with Jack, Karl, Denis and Lisa soon. Should be a fun evening. I miss these guys. It's good to have a chance to catch up with them for a little while.

No comments: