Thursday, March 27, 2008

Surf School Stories Part II: Learning to Ride the Egg

So I've been back in lovely Caleta de Famara now for about a week with Tim, Simon and George attempting (and I used that in the broadest possible way) to learn how to ride the rather expensive piece of sporting equipment I purchased after my last trip here over Christmas/New Year's.

On the one side, I'm utterly relieved to know that my passion for surfing was not simply a passing fancy. I completely adore this sport. I think it's one of the first times in ages that I've fallen so completely for something this quickly and enjoyed it this much even though it takes a incredible amount of effort. But there you go, I'm in love with surfing and particularly my lovely red board.

So about this board. It has been so much harder to learn to ride it than I thought it would. Compared to the big long boards (all over 9ft and super heavy) that I learned on last time with Tim my board is a Takayama 7'6" Egg and it's super, super light and much more maneuverable. I think it's taken me full five days to just learn how to paddle out and sit on my board let alone ride it with any sort of grace, but I tell you when I do get those few and far between waves and I'm up and ride, it is a sweet, steady and FAST board. It's perfect. I have this odd feeling that many of my vacations in the coming years will be surf oriented. Fortunately lots of the places I want to visit also happen to have good surf. . . .

Unfortunately the last few days have been pretty miserable conditions, everyone in the school has been having what Tim calls a good "grovel" out in the onshore mush we've been seeing. I'm off today, but think I'm going to go have a surf with Tim, his girlfriend and his youngest son at one of the other breaks on the island. Should be fun. It looks pretty miserable and cold out right now but that's what wetsuits are for.

Speaking of wetsuits now that it seems the airline has completely lost my duffle bag with all of my clothes in it, I believe I may invest in a wetsuit. Might as well if they'll have to pay for it, right?

No comments: