Monday, January 21, 2008

Lost in Scandinavia: Markets and Reindeer Kebab

As always, I have to track down whatever food goodies possible when I travel, so of course I dragged Doug and Briana over to the Old Market Hall to check out the gourmet goodies.

The hall was small, not even half as big as the Kleinmarkt Halle in Frankfurt, but instead of being filled with fresh vegetables and Metzgerei butchers and Turkish drit was filled with all sorts of fresh fish and reindeer product goodies. There were a few oddities in the market, most notably the bear meat pate and the snow goose pate. Then again I suppose for a region that has bigger animal populations up north it's not so strange. . . I just love checking out local food spots like this, somehow I always feel like it gives me some type of insight into who the people are that live in the city and what they're like.

Anyway, probably the most entertaining random food for Reindeer Kebab that I ended up having for me was the lunch. I mean I'm all for consuming Rudolph just like we did over dinner the other night, but somehow it seems like it kind of defeats the purpose eating it as a kebab. Honestly, after all the kebab cooking it just kind of resembled any old kebab meat, well maybe a little chewier but still very tasty. It's kebab, imported street food at it's finest and most random here.

No comments: