Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Ringing in 2008!

Happy New Year!

Well, for someone who thought that she was going to have a quiet contemplative holiday interspersed with some surfing, I have to say I’ve been remarkably social. Somehow after my comparatively quiet Christmas Eve dinner, I ended up having 8 people over for New Year’s Eve dinner last night. It was amazing, again, everyone piled in. My new friends Sarah and Matt went shopping with me for what was initially going to be dinner for 5, them, myself, Aari who returned from Fuerteventura for New Year's Eve and George. Then suddenly it started to grow, we ran into another couple from the group and then Tim introduced us to a new girl who would be joining in on January 2, Jenny from Sweden. So there it was. 8 people!

But between Sarah, Aari and I we pulled together a big pasta dinner (plus many, many bottles of wine), George pulled out his lying dice game (think poker but with even more bluffing and using dice instead of cards) and we kicked off a great start to the New Year's celebration. Somehow I also ended up with an extra table in my kitchen, but I think that came from Jenny's house around the corner.

After dinner and some dice, we went to our favorite place, the Surf Bar of course. We partied there until well past midnight, received strange gift bags with noses and hats and handfuls of grapes that we were expected to eat on the spot. I don't quite get the grape thing, it must be a Spanish tradition.

Around 2:30am, Aari and I finally stumbled out (he was crashing in my spacious three bedroom flat before his flight the next day), and on the way home we crashed a family karaoke session. We kept asking to join in, but the older gentleman at the garage door didn't seem to want us to participate. He just kept saying "Familie!" So finally we went home.

My lord what a night it was. I've been more social here than I have in months. It is so nice to have time to actually hang out with people. And such fun people at that.

I hope everyone had a great holiday themselves. All the best wishes for the coming year to you and your families!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Sweets.. I love the pictures and all the traveling you are doing.. I miss traveling with you ... it's not the same in Orlando, FL.. ohhh.. where do I go for the weekend???? Definitely not Paris, Milano, Frankfurt...How is Lausanne.. please take some pictures and post them.. am definitely having Lausanne withdrawals.. I never in my life thought that would happen :).. how's my little old apartment??? Where do you stay now??? well .. keep posting.. am living through you.. un beso grande.. miss you always