Saturday, January 5, 2008

Surf School Stories: Bittersweet final moments in Famara



Well, my two weeks in Famara have finally come to a close. I can't quite believe how fast the time has gone. It seems strange actually to think that by tonight I'll be back in Frankfurt getting ready for my next trip to Lausanne for work. I feel like I could stay here forever. Unfortunately it doesn't work like that, so after a quick coffee with Anne today I'll be heading to the airport for what I hope to be a manageable trip home.

It's been an amazing two weeks. Completely re-energizing. I think we've got it all wrong in America when it comes to vacation time. We wear our overzealous worklife like a badge of honor, but finally after having taken a real vacation I feel like I am ready and capable of going back to work with energy and perspective. Something I think is a pretty valuable commodity in todays work world.

But enough of my rant on how I truly do believe that we as American's work far too much and don't actually know how to disconnect. Let me rant for a moment on how fantastic my surf experience has been. I have met the most incredible people from Ireland, Britain, Australia, Romania, Italy, Canada, you name it. I have people to visit all over the place now and it's fantastic. Plus I have a brand new sport that I will be pursuing with a passion. I've already hit Tim up for recommendations on what type of surf board I should get for myself.

I can only say the best things about Tim and his surf school. If you happen to desire to learn to surf, then this school in the Canary Islands is the place to go: Surf School Lanzarote. Amazing coaches, great conditions and warm water.

I definitely want to make a trip back as soon as I possibly can.

No comments: